April 27, 2008

By Now I'm Getting Sun Stroke...

Well, we started digging on Wednesday afternoon and didn't get the poles situated until Thursday afternoon. That was some hard work, I tell you what! If ever you want upper body strength, dig out holes 4 and a half feet deep with a post hole digger.

There was literally a swamp underneath our feet. It even smelled like sulfur because of all of the swamp gasses. We had to bucket out water so that the mud would be solid enough for us to dig out. Some people were covered in mud and clay, others covered themselves in mud and clay just for fun.

On Thursday I got to do the funnest thing yet: ride the lawn tractor. John Deere, baby! We shoveled dirt and mud to our heart's content into the tractor's trailer and back out again. The piles of dirt needed to be moved so that the cement truck could get sufficiently close the next day. So, we leveled out some ground for Miss Cunningham's daughter, Tidi. She's probably going to plant some tomatoes now.

I'm sure I picked up trash this day, too, but I'm pretty positive I blocked that from my memory. It's funny how the most humble acts of service in the world are probably the least enjoyable.

No comments: