February 26, 2008

A Life of Sacrifice Part One

I keep thinking of Hudson Taylor, the great man who once upon a time was a missionary to China. Even before he went to China he lived on bread and water, in a crappy apartment, and he gave the rest of what he had to everyone else.

I wish that I could live like that. In a way, the church should live like that. God doesn't demand what Hudson Taylor did exactly, but He does want us to give Him everything. That looks different to each individual, but everyone has to start by letting God direct them in their spending, living, etc.

I mean, technically He owns everything we have anyway. That's what we need to acknowledge. Everything we have is a gift from God--what's so terrible about giving it back to Him?

"'And try me now in this,' says the Lord of hosts, 'If I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you such blessing that there will not be room enough to receive it'" (Malachi 3:10). If you give to God what He has asked of you, He WILL reward you for your faithfulness to Him, and that's no TV evangelism message.

No comments: